"That's Life" magazine....again

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media
KathleensMum

"That's Life" magazine....again

Post by KathleensMum » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:46 pm

In the Ask The Doctor section of the magazine this week there are 2 questions that have recently come up in the forum....
WHAT'S BEST FOR BABY?
Q. When I had my babies in the 60's we were told to lay them on their sides. Now mums are told to put them on their backs. Why the change?

A. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the most common cause of death for babies between one and 12 months. Putting babies to sleep on their back has been the main reason fewer babies now die from SIDS. Babies put on their sides can roll onto their tummies while asleep, and are then more likely to choke if they vomit. It's important to put babies on their tummies on a firm surface while they are awake. This helps them to learn to lift their heads, use their arms and explore the world.
BREAST MILK- YEARS ON
Q. My son's four but I still get a milky discharge from both nipples. Is this normal?

A. Many women keep producing milk long after breastfeeding has stopped. It's called Galactorrhoea. It's often caused by some kind of nipple stimulation which triggers the release of the hormone prolactin, such as friction between nipples and clothing, as well as some medications. Repeatedly squeezing the nipple to see if milk production has stopped only prolongs the process. A blood test to check prolactin levels and exclude an underactive thyroid is usually the only test needed.
Heather
Mum of Kathleen 17/5/2005...Proudly BF for 2 years, 7 months and 12 days....
Rose 03/06/2008

motherofseven

Post by motherofseven » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Babies put on their sides can roll onto their tummies while asleep, and are then more likely to choke if they vomit.
I read somewhere years ago that it is far more likely for a baby to choke on it's own vomit if on it's back. Something to do with the vomit clogging in the throat and the baby not being able to clear it. I was never comfortable with having my babies on their backs to sleep, and neither were they.

Karen.
ImageImage

KathleensMum

Post by KathleensMum » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:55 pm

I agree with you Karen, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that....Logically it would be safer to sleep babies on their sides....This is just my opinion...

When my DD was only a couple of weeks old, I put her to bed on her back and went to bed myself....Luckily she was in a bassinette beside the bed, coz she was sick and it went down her throat and she started choking...From that night on I put her on her side to sleep...I rolled up a cloth nappy and put it in front of her so that she wouldn't roll onto her tummy....She didn't start tummy sleeping till I put her in a cot a month ago....
Heather
Mum of Kathleen 17/5/2005...Proudly BF for 2 years, 7 months and 12 days....
Rose 03/06/2008

Jack's mammy

Post by Jack's mammy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:49 pm

I'm with you.
Jack has always been a side sleeper. We have always co-slept with him on his side - mainly becuase he would breastfeed all night long. Although now at 20 months he performs like a little acrobat in his sleep - on his tummy, at the bottom of the bed, across his Dad's chest, head off the bed, and the other night I woke up to him doing a headstand chattering away to himself all the while fast asleep. :D
Some nights I have to go to another room so I can have a giggle without waking him up.

Love Rebecca
Mum to Jack 20 months and Breastfed :D

charndra1

Post by charndra1 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:49 am

Jack's mammy wrote:I'm with you.
Jack has always been a side sleeper. We have always co-slept with him on his side - mainly becuase he would breastfeed all night long.

... the other night I woke up to him doing a headstand chattering away to himself all the while fast asleep. :D Some nights I have to go to another room so I can have a giggle without waking him up.
I had to stiffle my own giggles at that with babe sleeping on my lap! :lol:

My ds also always sleeps on his side. I'd lay him on his back, but he'd turn to face my face. The Dr James McKenna research and other sources "Three in a bed: Why you should sleep with your baby" by Deborah Jackson say this is normal - so mum and baby share a 'bubble of air' so to speak, prompting the newborn to learn to breathe normally in the early 3 months as their brain matures. Fascinating stuff!

I've also read they used to advise people to sleep baby on their belly just so they wouldn't choke on spewing!

J'smum

Post by J'smum » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:08 pm

I was advised to sleep ds on his side as he had swallowed a lot of fluid during his birth and there was concern he would choke on the fluid that was constantly bubbling out of his mouth (he did have one choking episode and needed some suction). I was also told by a MACH nurse that babies rarely choke when on their back as they naturally turn their heads to the side??? Who to believe????
Ds has always slept on his side in any case as I was too worried about him choking and he just seemed more comfortable that way.