Ponyo

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media
MamaMagoO?

Ponyo

Post by MamaMagoO? » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:45 pm

This film was made in 2008 but I've only just seen it. It is amazing. I love it so do my kids. And it has a breastfeeding reference! Ponyo (who is a fish that turns herself into a human girl) and her friend Sosuke (a little boy) come across a family with a baby. Ponyo offers the baby a cup of soup which the mother takes and sips. Ponyo is angry and says the soup is for the baby. The mother says, "He is too young to have anything other than milk. If I drink the soup it will help me make milk for him". Ponyo is confused but Sosuke reassures her saying, "My mother made milk for me too".

... anyway, just a sweet little moment in an enchanting film. I am really excited to have discovered this just in time for a festival of the writer/director, Hayao Miyazaki's work on SBS. Can't wait to see some more of his films :-D
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Parla.
Counsellor

Re: Ponyo

Post by Parla. » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:31 pm

I don't remember that! I saw it before children and it must have passed me by. It is a movie I love though so maybe time for a rewatch.
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)

PellyintheWilderness

Re: Ponyo

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:50 am

That's really sweet!

My "favourite" breastfeeding mention in a film is from the Iranian film Blackboards, where an itinerant teacher whose wife has abandoned him complains that he can't find a permanent wet-nurse for his little son. "He's had milk from a hundred women. Even a from a COW."
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months