Article on the export of formula to China

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media

Article on the export of formula to China

Postby mooki » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:26 am

mooki
Site Admin

Re: Article on the export of formula to China

Postby A+D » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 pm

DH and I watch Landline each Sunday and there was a report about the positives for the dairy industry in Australia due to the increased demand for milk powder products in China, when I realised that it included ABM there was some shouting at the tv moments from me. We also see the effects of this daily where I live, the sailors from the Chinese ore ships come into the shops and buy up tins of ABM, there is a limit now to 2 tins per customer, and I think they all pretty well take 2 back with them each time, and it isn't uncommon for mums to not to be able to get the type of ABM they want. It took me a while to work out why a group of seemingly single men were buying ABM the first time I saw it.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013
A+D

Postby Mummy woo! » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Yes AS+D, I frequently shout at the telly when they talk about the economic benefits of dairy exports too!

Julie Smith is in my Branch - she is tops :-D And we all know Karleen from the forum. Go ABA!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Yankee » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Yeah when i was doing top ups with DD i couldn't get the brand of ABM I was used to because it was one of the ones the Chinese had decided was extra safe. So every time it came in they would buy it up to send to family members in China. It was really frustrating.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Karleen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks MW! Yankee, feel free to share your experience on the comments section of the article. Issues of food security are real.
Karleen
Karleen

Postby mooki » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Mummy woo! wrote:
Julie Smith is in my Branch - she is tops :-D And we all know Karleen from the forum. Go ABA!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who does a little fist pump when one/some of our own contribute great articles like this.

I saw Julie present at LG too :)
mooki
Site Admin

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:34 pm

This popped up on the local news section of the ABC website the other day:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-07/tasmanian-pharamacy-baby-clinic-model-expanding-to-china/5876024
I was enraged. But I don't know what, if anything, to do about it.
I'm not suggesting that a baby clinic service at a pharmacy is a bad idea. But it's pretty clear that they won't be providing unbiased infant nutrition advice.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Karleen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Part of what is not entirely clear is that China's whole health system is hospital based- there are no GPs of family and child health nurses. So there is a huge need for community-based health services....this appears to not be that. It appears to be just another version of the "milk nurses" that appear to be health providers but are in fact formula sales people.
Karleen

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Karleen wrote:Part of what is not entirely clear is that China's whole health system is hospital based- there are no GPs of family and child health nurses. So there is a huge need for community-based health services....this appears to not be that. It appears to be just another version of the "milk nurses" that appear to be health providers but are in fact formula sales people.

That's what I thought, only you've put it into better words. All kinds of wrong. Honestly, I despair sometimes.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Return to ABA and/or breastfeeding in the media