Jennifer Connelly re breastfeeding

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media
bec25
Counsellor

Jennifer Connelly re breastfeeding

Post by bec25 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:42 am

Hi guys,

Bought some old magazines at a garage sale and in the June 2004 Family Circle there is an interview with Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind, Requiem for a Dream) in it she says:
I use a breast pump so Paul can feed Stellan. The other day when I cam home, I heard Paul scream. I ran into the bedroom and he's got my electric breast pump attached to his nipples! He said, 'I heard if something happens to the mother, men can start to lactate.' So, I'm starting to fear for my wellbeing!"... "Paul really wishes he could breastfeed"
Thought others might be interested...

Bec

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:53 am

Funny! This is an interesting link to an article about men who lactate or breastfeed- has other links too- including one about the book Fresh Milk: The secret life of breasts which is a great read if anyone is interested. I borrowed it from my local ABA library.

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/mis ... lkmen.html
Lukas William, born 14 Feb 05, breastfed 2 years, 6 months

James Thomas , born 23 June 09, breastfed 2 years 7 months

Alice Paige, born 13 May 2012

T21mum

Post by T21mum » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:49 pm

Is it really real, can men really have milk? don’t mums need to take medication if they have never breastfeed. what quality would the milk be? Don’t know what else to say so I’ll wait for the replies. :?

Cathy

~AB~

Post by ~AB~ » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How funny is that?
Daughters born: 17/03/04 & 29/06/05

Kathryn
Counsellor

Post by Kathryn » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:13 am

Cathy, Yes men can actually produce milk, no idea what the milk would be like- we don't even know exactly what is in our own milk. Check out the link though- there is an example of a gay couple who adopted a baby, and after supplementing for a while, and allowing the baby to suckle, one of the men built up his milk supply to the extent that he could exclusivley breastfeed his child! And did it for several months. The baby was healthy, so I guess the milk must be good, maybe the same as ours?

As a side note, just a bit of trivia, extreme starvation can also cause men to lactate, there are many reports of men in the concentration camps in Germany in WWII producing milk. Now I find that amazing- I wonder why?
Lukas William, born 14 Feb 05, breastfed 2 years, 6 months

James Thomas , born 23 June 09, breastfed 2 years 7 months

Alice Paige, born 13 May 2012

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm no expert on this, but I believe the situation with the men in the concentration camps is that, when starving, their testosterone levels drop dramatically and their female hormones take over ! The mind boggles, doesn't it!
With women who are adoptive breastfeeders, it can be done without hormones or medication, even if the woman has never been pregnant! I think maybe a very large dose of determination.......
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)