"That's Life" Magazine

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media
KathleensMum

"That's Life" Magazine

Post by KathleensMum » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:39 am

I was reading an old copy of That's Life magazine (8/6/2005) when I came to the "Ask the doctor" section...I thought it was good to read such a positive answer in the mag...

The section was called "Give baby the best start"

The mum asked, "My son is five months old and I want to keep breastfeeding until 12 months, but my period came last week?"

The doctors answer was, " Don't worry, this is very common. Only full breastfeeding - six feeds a day - blocks ovulation and stops periods, but that's no guarantee. This also means breastfeeding isn't good contraception, so make sure you're taking precautions.
Once night feeds stop and solids start, breastfeeding slows down and periods normally come back. Some babies may refuse the breast once the periods start. Old wives say it's because the taste of the milk changes, but it may also just be baby losing interest. Try to persevere. Twelve months of breastfeeding will give your son a fabulous start."
Heather
Mum of Kathleen 17/5/2005...Proudly BF for 2 years, 7 months and 12 days....
Rose 03/06/2008

LiamandSienna's Mum

Post by LiamandSienna's Mum » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:08 am

That's great :) I have heard too many stories recently about Dr's who claim there is "no benefit" to b/fing beyond 6 months! :o
Liam-3/06/01-breastfed to age 4.
Sienna-2/4/05-cleft palate, thriving on ebm