Breastfeeding in local paper

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media
Jack's mammy

Breastfeeding in local paper

Post by Jack's mammy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi all :D

Our local newspaper runs a "text the editor" column. In Monday's edition some idiot had texted in complaining about a woman breastfeeding in a shopping centre food court. In effect saying the woman should be arrested for indecent exposure and that if a man were to breastfeed (duh duh) in public he would be arrested.
Since then, each edition has been full of texts from breastfeeding supporters (incl. lots of men).
On one hand it was really dissappointing to read the first text, but reading the ones that followed made me feel better.
While at the shopping centre today I breastfed Jack (almost 19 months) and felt a little nervous, but then I saw two women breastfeeding babies who looked to be at least 3 and then I felt alot better.

Rebecca
Mum to Jack Aidan 19 months (almost) and breastfed

ozzibin74
Counsellor

Post by ozzibin74 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:06 am

Just goes to show, doesn't it, that those that really have a problem with it are really in the minority. It doesn't make it any easier when you encounter that minority though. Now that I'm confident enough to not worry about, DS rarely wants a feed when in public any more, there's usually too much other fun stuff going on... Indecent exposure... I think the man has issues...
Belinda
Mum to Mitchell (15/4/03)

Jack's mammy

Post by Jack's mammy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:09 pm

Hi
Just an update. The paper ran a story in Saturday's edition re breastfeeding. Also included a photo of 2 women breastfeeding - one a new baby and the other a toddler who was sitting up on her lap - very cute. Also interviewed someone from Nursing mothers Assoc. and included lots of stats from WHO re breastfeeding. I was very impressed.

Rebecca.

P.S. also included places of business that have ABA stickers welcoming breastfeeding mothers

Mel P

Post by Mel P » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:08 pm

Isn't that great?! I agree with ozzibin74 - the majority support babies breastfeeding now. Did you know that Nursing Mothers Association and the Australian Breastfeeding Association are one and the same? We had a name change in 2001, I think. The person quoted in your paper, Rebecca, is one of your local ABA counsellors :D