Youngest child less likely to be bf

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media
Gwen's Mum

Re: Youngest child less likely to be bf

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:35 pm

The idea that DS might decide to self-wean earlier than DD (who weaned at 3.5 years) actually makes me a bit... I don't know. Panicked? Pre-emptively sad? :roll: :lol: I often try to remember how often DD was feeding at various points, to give me some vague comparison with DS - and maybe to give me a kind of predictor of breastfeeding duration. Pretty sure he feeds just as much as she did at 13 months, so here's to another 2+ years of bfing! :lol:

Fwiw, though, my brother and I do support the study's findings - I was bf for 6 months; my younger brother was breastfed for 4 months then weaned onto bottlefed boiled cow's milk because, in my mum's word, "I had a toddler [i.e. me] that time around. It was just easier." I think the unrealistic expectations and pressures placed on mothers of young babies are certainly compounded by having other children to care for; possibly paid work to re-enter; and/or in my family's case, a lack of local support as a result of a significant interstate move. It's also why I'm always so happy and, honestly, relieved when mums come back to ABA local groups after having their second or subsequent babies, often after a period of time away - more than ever, having access to a group of women who really listen and understand the exponential shift entailed in adding a second (or more) child to a family is crucial then, I think.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 pm

not true dd is 2 1/2 and still going strong
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

serenity now

Post by serenity now » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 am

Like Monicat, I also prioritise breastfeeding (but at the same time feel resentful of how much of my time it takes). DD will probably breastfeed as long or longer than DS1. He was breastfed until 4.5 years. DS2 was 3 and a few months and DS3 was 2 and a few months. I only stopped breastfeeding DS3 because my milk dried up within the first month of my pregnancy--that didn't happen in my other pregnancies. Because DD is now 1, there's the expectation I can do more than I can handle in regards to school and kinder whereas the reality is that she still feeds every 2-3 hours and has separation anxiety. I only do things that will take a maximum of 3 hours because I can't handle breastfeeding around the other school mothers.

chiggins

Post by chiggins » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:35 pm

This is one of my biggest concerns...how will I cope in those first horrible sleepless weeks of BFing bub#3 when I will have a 2.5yo and a 15 month old to care for too??
I'm determined to BF this child, like I did for my first two, and am hoping to go much longer this time as I'm not ever having anymore children. (Pregnancy dried me up both times so had to wean early)
I guess I will just have to learn to cope...but this topic certainly occupies my thoughts.
DD - Nov 2013
DS1 - Apr 2015
DS2 - Jun 2016 (BFing like a champ!)

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:26 pm

Baby Blue Eyes wrote:not true dd is 2 1/2 and still going strong
Wait, what?! Your DD is two and a half? When did that happen!?

My DD2 is only like 4 month old. Or something like that.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:28 pm

Also, I only read the news article I didn't click through to the actual study so I'm not sure how they defined 'breastfeeding'. I assumed duration but that may have been a foolish assumption.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 am

Penguin wrote:
Baby Blue Eyes wrote:not true dd is 2 1/2 and still going strong
Wait, what?! Your DD is two and a half? When did that happen!?

My DD2 is only like 4 month old. Or something like that.
I know she is 3 in September, ds1 will be 10 in October, ds2 turns 7 next week and ds3 is 5 in June
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:38 pm

Mine were all breastfed 2 plus years, but I do know someone who breastfed her first (a boy) for two years, but the subsequent children (three more, all girls) were not fed beyond 6 months and by the fourth one she was only fed for about 2 months...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:40 pm

Oh, on second thoughts, I wonder if the common experience is that if a woman had a lot of trouble with the first baby trying to breastfed, she's even less likely to try to breastfeed with the further children, on the basis that she 'can't breastfeed' ...for whatever reason ?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

~WildChild~

Post by ~WildChild~ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Technically yes, but all of mine were breastfed for a long time.
Both boys had their last feed on their 5th birthday, instigated by me.
DD weaned herself at 4y9m.
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:39 pm

chiggins wrote:This is one of my biggest concerns...how will I cope in those first horrible sleepless weeks of BFing bub#3 when I will have a 2.5yo and a 15 month old to care for too??
I'm determined to BF this child, like I did for my first two, and am hoping to go much longer this time as I'm not ever having anymore children. (Pregnancy dried me up both times so had to wean early)
I guess I will just have to learn to cope...but this topic certainly occupies my thoughts.
It's really normal to be concerned about how you'll manage bf and caring for the older two. Remember that while every journey is different, you aren't establishing breastfeeding for the first time and you already have an existing group of cheerleaders in us. For more practical help, can anyone come and give you a break in those first few weeks? Can you pre-prepare meals etc. Xx
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Marg
Community Educator

Post by Marg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Not in this house!

DD2 was breastfed for 5 1/2 years, the others for 2y2m and 1y2m.....

Anyway, I thought the youngest always got everything and it's not fair......
Mum to Monkey 15 (BF 2y2m), Possum 14 (BF1y2m) & Cupcake 12 (fully weaned at 5 1/2)

jessles
Location: Just ask hubby..... he'll tell you I'm in forum land

Post by jessles » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:41 am

Bub #4 was bf just as much as the older ones. However, I did want to prove some people 'wrong' about my b/fing.

DH has had enough of me b/fing now and is trying ways to get me to stop. (DD3 is 21 mths).

MIL said that she could only feed her 4th for 3 mths because she didn't have enough milk having to run around after her 3 older boys. She only fed the boys until they were 6mths though.