insufficient glandular tissue and using a SNS

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
Katejoh

insufficient glandular tissue and using a SNS

Post by Katejoh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi,

I recently gave birth (two weeks ago) and despite my plans to exclusively breast feed, it turns out that I have insufficient glandular tissue to create enough breast milk to support my baby. I'm telling myself that I am ok with supplementing, but to be honest, I'm simply devastated. To make it worse, he is starting to get nipple confusion and is preferring the bottle to me. I am using a nipple shield which is helping a lot ( I take it off half way through).
At the moment my routine is breast feeding for approximately one hour - trying to get as much of my milk in him as possible, I then give him any expressed breast milk that I have via syringe, then a bottle of formula then I express for ten minutes on both sides - i get a few drops on my right and on a good day I can get approximately 7 to 10ml from my left.
I am hoping to use a SNS so that I can continue breast feeding. I know that he gets very little from me but it is something I am determined not to stop. I have put the formula in the bottle, however it is too thick to flow through the tubes.
Has anyone had any success with other formula brands, or any suggestions on this? and any success in continuing breastfeeding when having insufficient glandular tissue?
Thank you
Last edited by Little Tiggermum on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removal of brand name - mod

snowie

Re: insufficient glandular tissue and using a SNS

Post by snowie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi Katejoh :smt006
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a mummy :)
There are a few forumites who have used a SNS I'll send them to this thread.
Never forgetting our angel babies

MamaMagoO?

Post by MamaMagoO? » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:44 pm

There are a couple of mums on this forum who have successfully breastfed using an SNS with IGT. Hopefully one of them will see your post soon.

I don't have any experience with this myself but from what I do know it certainly could a good option for you.

Just one thought I had reading your story is have you thought of just popping the baby back on the breast for another feed instead of expressing? Babies are much more efficient at getting milk out than breast pumps. You may be able to get more BM into to him that way. Also 7-10 mls from one breast not long after a big feed is not bad. If you want to keep expressing could you try leaving it a bit longer after you've finished feeding to allow your breasts a chance to refill a little. It's a bit easier to express when they're a bit more full.

If he is not getting a full feed keeping him on the breast for an hour at a time might not always be the best way to go either. You may find giving him shorter feeds more often may be more effective as well. But let him be your guide with length of feeds. If he is feeding well for an hour then that's probably fine.
Little Magoo 07/08. Breastfed for 3yrs3mths.
Miss Magoo 10/11. Breastfed for 4yrs3mths.

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi Katejoh, and welcome to the forum!

I had a similar experience to yours - diagnosed with IGT at around 2.5 weeks, supplemented from then until about 7 months, and used a supply line for around 5 months of that. So I can absolutely commiserate with the grief that comes with realising exclusive breastfeeding might not happen - but I, as well as several other mums here who have IGT or chronic low supply and have supplemented long term, also know that there are ways and means to achieve the best possible alternative. :)

In terms of strategies and options, everyone's situation is a little bit different - but what worked for us looked something like this:

We firstly ruled out all other issues that could have been impacting how much milk I was making, and how much my DD was able to transfer. Jack Newman's 'Protocol to Manage Breastmilk Intake' (see here: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content. ... doc%20PMBI) was really helpful in leading us through the steps to work out whether there might be something going on with DD (tongue or lip tie, or other attachment issues interfering with her ability to transfer milk and stimulate supply); and things I could be doing to maximise my supply.

We threw all the usual supply-increasing strategies at the problem - these included:
- really frequent feeding, including 'breastfeeding vacations' spent just lying in bed or on the couch for a day or two and feeding whenever DD twitched
- switch feeding (so switching back and forth between breasts multiple times, at shortish intervals, to maximise letdowns and keep DD interested)
- breast compressions while feeding, especially when DD's sucking slowed
- lots of skin-to-skin time and use of baby-led attachment to try to promote as many milk-producing hormones and optimal attachment as possible
- judicious use of galactagogues including herbal supplements and prescription medication, again guided by Jack Newman's information on this and supported by our midwife and an IBCLC at the time.

Ultimately we realised we needed to supplement, and over time recognised this would be longer-term than we'd hoped - but what helped us to avoid nipple confusion and to get the at-breast feeding relationship we wanted was the use of the supply line/SNS. There is now a great support group that has formed via FB - I'll PM you the link. The group wasn't around when DD was born 3.5 years ago, sadly! But they're a wealth of knowledge and hints and tips on getting the most out of the SNS, and overcoming issues such as formula clogging the tubing; avoiding flow preference; etc.

Everyone's experience with and use of the SNS is a bit different, depending on how their baby responds and how much supplement is needed each day. My personal approach was to breastfeed without the SNS first, usually on both sides, then introduce the SNS after that, then finish the feed with just breastfeeding - kind of 'book-ending' the supplement with just breastfeed. Luckily DD was a baby who loved to breastfeed, so was happy to just hang out and 'comfort suck'. We co-slept, which gave me the opportunity to maximise the higher prolactin levels overnight by breastfeeding on demand without needing to get out of bed to resettle. :wink: Babywearing during the day also helped me to maintain my sanity in the face of a baby who wanted to feed and be held pretty well constantly...

We also made a personal decision to use donor breast milk when supplementing, so unfortunately I don't have a lot of suggestions regarding the formula tube-clogging issue - but the FB support group should be able to help out!

Last but not least, please keep coming back here to the forum and chatting - it was a great source of support for me in those early days when the going got really tough at times. I also had lots of contact with my local ABA group, and ended up qualifying as a breastfeeding counsellor - not something I would likely have done if not for our initial challenges. :)

HTH, and hope your journey gets a little easier with time. xxx
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Katejoh

Post by Katejoh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Thank you so much, just reading your experience gives me hope! I particularly like the 'breast feeding vacations', that just sounds lovely!

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

If you'd like to pursue the possibility of donor milk as mentioned above, this page https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/system ... 201311.pdf has links to informal milk sharing networks such as Eats on Feets and Human Milk for Human Babies.

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 am

Katejoh wrote:Thank you so much, just reading your experience gives me hope! I particularly like the 'breast feeding vacations', that just sounds lovely!
Even though they occurred under rather stressful circumstances, in retrospect they *were* lovely! :) Many months later, I looked back at those first six months and realised - supply issues or not, I really should have stressed less about being "stuck" on the couch feeding. I could have caught up on so many movies and TV series and books, instead of feeling guilty about "doing something" (whatever that's meant to be :wink:). Next time around I'll have a four year old to contend with, so I'm not sure how restful those 'vacations' are going to be... :lol:
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi there.
I have never been diagnosed with IGT, however, I have used an SNS extensively - see my sig below for details. Happy to help out with pro tips. My story is on here in great detail - feel free to search my posts when you have time. I'm not on the forum much, so PM might be best if you want to get in contact at any time.
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)