Increasing supply for donation.

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
pseudo

Increasing supply for donation.

Post by pseudo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm on my phone so need to keep this quick. I need advice on how to increase my supply for expressing. Not sure about medication but I'm currently feeding my almost 2.5 year old very frequently, prob about 8 times in 24 hours, most often through the night as he pretty much sleeps on my boob.

Years ago when DS1 was a baby, I still had a huge supply and expressed for a friend's toddler who was going through chemotherapy treatment for leukemia. Breastmilk was all he could keep down. He is almost 6 now and sadly his cancer has come back. His prognosis is good but they are looking for donations again as they believe it made a huge difference to his treatment. I have my swing pump and have been pumping 2 hourly for the last week but still no real increase in supply. How long would you say it takes and should I consider medication. I am absolutely committed to doing this so am prepared for the work.

Storked by the lovely Lu!

Jenbt85

Re: Increasing supply for donation.

Post by Jenbt85 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi Pseudo, I just wanted to extend my sympathies to you and your friend's family. My only thought is that pumping can be hard under pressure and that might have an effect on supply? I had to take medication to increase supply - would a call to the helpline be something you're interested in?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Sometimes expressing while bf on the other side helps.

It may take a few weeks for your body to catch up.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Are you getting a leg dien at all?

I'm also finding it much harder to express now ds is older. It's just different.

Hugs to the family. Di they needmore donors? I'm happy to chip in some.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)