CT Scan, breastfeeding and sick bubs

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
MichelleC

CT Scan, breastfeeding and sick bubs

Post by MichelleC » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Hello I was wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I booked in for a CT scan Friday last and I was on the bed ready to go through when the nurse said "ok now we will give you the iodine isotope". I promptly stopped him and said "did you read my notes? I am breast feeding? Will this have an effect?" The Nurse quickly went to check and a more senior member of staff appeared to tell me that I should have been expressing enough milk so that bubs can bottle feed for 24 h following the procedure. To cut a long story short, I have rebooked for tomorrow afternoon.

Problem is, bubs has had a viral infection all weekend, is super clingy and when I try to express I am getting nothing out!
I think it would be unfair of me to withhold breast feeding from him for 24 h given his illness and his reluctance to take a bottle at the best of times.
Bubs is 7 months old, eating 3 small meals a day, however, breast milk is still his staple.

So what am I asking?
1. what would you do? attend appointment or call in the morning and cancel/reschedule?
2. is my milk drying up or am I just stressing about bubs **Edited : Going to read all the fantastic posts on forum**
3. how can I "make"/"express more milk**Edited : Going to read all the fantastic posts on forum**

Thank you so much in advance, Michelle

Esther

Re: CT Scan, breastfeeding and sick bubs

Post by Esther » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Hugs, sounds a very worrying time.

This is the info from the ABA website, which I hope will help reassure you.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo ... astfeeding
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

MichelleC

Post by MichelleC » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:25 pm

Thank you Esther for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the info.

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Michelle, the link Esther posted is great.

If you look under the section on expressing and storing milk, there is some great info there too (although you might not need to now, its useful to know anyway :wink: )

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Michelle

Why not give the helpline a call - you can talk through all the info Esther linked to, and work out a plan to suit yourself and your baby.

I hope you can get it all sorted out soon.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Michelle.

I had an abdominal and pelvic CT scan last week using iodine isotope and was told that it was fine to breastfeed.

I would recommend finding out exactly what contrast they are using and ringing Rodney Whyte at Monash Medical Centre on 03 9594 2361.

Have you been told it's a nuclear scan and that you have to stay away from your baby for 24 hours? These type you cannot breastfeed for 24 hours.

The radiologist told me it was fine but I double checked with Rodney. I also had a CT scan with contrast when I was breastfeeding DS1 a few years ago and a brain MRI scan with contrast dye in November and a thyroid uptake scan last year. I was told that it was safe to breastfeed on all occasions.

Here is some info for you to read but do please ring Rodney http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed ... oisotopes/

This is what I would do given your situation. Continue feeding your baby and ring radiology in the morning to find out what contrast they will be using. Ring Rodney and ask him if it's safe. If so, go ahead with the scan (just for your info, Rodney told me that if I was having the contrast that contraindicated breastfeeding, I would know about it because there are other things you have to do like stay away from children, babies, etc for 24 hours, so my guess is the type you are having will be safe). If he says it isn't safe (unlikely) just cancel and have it when bub gets better. Good luck xx.

Storked by the lovely Lu!