new twin issues

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
sisteroseas

new twin issues

Post by sisteroseas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi, my sister has two-week old twins and is in a country with very interfering medical model. they want 20g weight increase per day or insist on comp feeding. they say she should do comp feeding for a few weeks until babies cross over 3kg mark. I think they assume it will be quite easy to cut out after but I am concerned it may not be.
she has had a few medical issues herself since the birth so the assumption is maybe her milk supply isn't enough "yet".
any thoughts?
thanks.

Snake Hips Mcroy

Post by Snake Hips Mcroy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Is there a breastfeeding support network in the country where she is? Even in a breastfeeding hostile environment there must be some people who understand and support it...
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ

4fun

Post by 4fun » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Has she got access to expressing equipment? Although with two I am sure there is plenty of demand but perhaps she could try and comp that way? There are many women on here who have comp fed and then gone to full breastfeeding again also.
DS1 July 2008
DS2 November 2009
DD November 2011
DD2 March 2014

fellare

Post by fellare » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Which country is she in? Is there a La Leche league?

I'd avoid comping for the sake of it and try to look at weight gains over more than a day. In assuming they were prem, though?
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

A+D

Post by A+D » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:02 pm

With my twins, they certainly weren't easy to wean off top ups, and ultimately that prematurely ended our bf. Mine were 33 weekers, so did need them initially, but if they are near term babies that are just a bit small, I'd be wondering if they really did need extra. And if they did, would definately avoid giving the top up in a bottle, though I did end up resorting to bottles because the other methods took so long, and with baby twins and a toddler I just didn't have time. Good luck to your sister.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:03 pm

Tell her to go to bed with the babies, skin to skin with her no top and them in a nappy and let them breastfeed on demand, as often as they want to. No-one can *make* you give your children formula and if she knows the signs of babies getting enough milk (wet nappies, good skin tone etc) and is happy with the way they are feeding then I would tell her to continue as she is!