New baby is 11 weeks, first update...whoops!

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
Feather

New baby is 11 weeks, first update...whoops!

Post by Feather » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi all, I haven't been here very much lately. Facebook is now my time suck :roll: Thought I would give you a (hopefully) quick update about how feeding is going with baby number three, DS.

We using the SNS and donor milk again. Very happy to say that we've made it this far (11 weeks) without having to use formula (I actually mispelled that as forumula, lol). We have some donors who are helping out a second time as they've had another baby as well. We're utilizing HM4HB for the rest and meeting lots of wonderful donor mums/families. Collecting takes some logistic planning with three kids to consider and a 5 and 3yo who can now clearly verbalise that they don't wanna :wink: DS isn't the best traveller in the car either.

This time we have had the unfortunate complication of a posterior tongue tie, lip tie and a high narrow palate. The ties were snipped at two weeks old and by five weeks old things still weren't going well. Had him booked for a recheck and all three kids came down with a mystery virus. It landed DS in the ER overnight for a temp. We discovered two sneaky teeth coming in that night too. So we had illness, then Christmas/NY holidays and rebooked just after the new year. He was/is very skinny so coupled with poor feeding I knew it wasn't right. His weight revealed that he hadn't gained in just over three weeks. He also still had some attachment with the PTT. That was snipped again and we went away (after seeing both the IBCLC and Dr.) with a plan for a feeding holiday and some blood/urine tests). Reweigh a week later showed a 180g gain and a sigh of relief. The visit also showed some abnormal blood results.

So off to the paed yesterday. Unfortunately I feel like they focused more on his failure to thrive (oh how I hate that term) and my feeding methods than the elevated liver enzymes but I suspected it may happen. Feeding has improved quite a bit so I would like to weigh weekly for a little while and have bought scales to avoid having to use different scales and weigh methods. Now that he is sucking/swallowing a bit better I have moved up to the medium sized tube on the SNS to try to minimize his effort at the breast, therefore energy used. So far today it has gone well.

We're back to the paed next week for follow up bloods and weight. Fingers crossed we're on our way now and there's nothing serious with his liver.

He's such a happy baby and full of smiles. The girls looove him, DD1 just wants to carry him around which has been handy at times!

So that's us for now. Third and final baby has seen the need to test my resolve even further but we'll get there I'm sure.
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:58 am

Hi Feather

Congratulations on the new arrival and all your efforts thus far. Hope you get some good news on those blood tests ASAP.

MW
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 am

Oh man that all sounds exhausting. good luck and I hope the tests come back clear!
DD born September 2013

Esther

Post by Esther » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 am

Lovely to see you again :) Congrats and good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Monicat

Post by Monicat » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Congratulations! I really admire your dedication to giving your babies breastmilk, you are amazing :)

Feather

Post by Feather » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks, it's good to 'see' you all too :)
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13

snowie

Post by snowie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:42 am

Hello :) , great to see you here. It was lovely to meet you before Christmas. Your girls are delightful and your DS is gorgeous. It was amazing watching him have a BF.
I hope things go smoothly with the Paed next week.
Never forgetting our angel babies

Feather

Post by Feather » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:07 pm

It was lovely to meet you too snowie! ...and your mum and DD :)

Your milk courier services were much appreciated.
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13