"Lip Tie" experience?

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
JennyD
Counsellor

Re: "Lip Tie" experience?

Post by JennyD » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 pm

At least two of my four have lip tie. Three of them fed really well, although I did have trouble establishing feeding with all of them, DS was worse than the girls. DS2 on the other hand couldn't attach due to it. DD who also has it fed the best of the lot. Not sure if the other two have it, should check with their dentist. So to cut a long story short, it can impact on breastfeeding, or not, depends on so much more. On its own it is often possible to work around, with other things it can be a huge problem.

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Mon May 19, 2014 8:21 am

I was just wanting to echo JennyD's comments. My second has an ULT and fed reasonably well. Teething impacted his attachment a little but then it improved and stretched with time. He also had trouble attaching to an engorged breast. I think if I had caught it early on, I may hve done something but ultimately it has not been a huge issue for us.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015

weeze

Post by weeze » Mon May 26, 2014 5:32 pm

I don't know if my experience helps. Not a baby but not a toddler either! My dd had a lip tie, feeding was fine.
We got her tie cut at 8yo so she wouldn't have such a big gap in between her front teeth ( could suck on a straw through it) and hopefully avoid orthodontic work later. Swollen for a week, ice packs and lots of tv for a few days.
Within 2 weeks her gap had closed. Off for an orthodontic assessment next month.
Oh she's 11 now.
LAD