"Lip Tie" experience?

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
ezzajb

"Lip Tie" experience?

Post by ezzajb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi ladies, my first bubba was eventually diagnosed with a "lip tie" of top lip, very thick frenulum, to cut a long story short due to a combination of misinformation/misdiagnoses and bad habits forming, we only made it to 3 month s BF :(

I am pregnant again YAY and am DETERMINED to BF little "encore". DD inherited lip prob from paternal aunt, and I'm worried about an encore from encore!!!
I would have a lip release done on encore early on if she/he has same problem affecting feeding.

Has anyone else had surgery done on bub for this? I could only find one mention on previous topics. Did you have a paediatric or oral or dental surgeon perform it ? How was bub sedated? How did they feed after?
Will most likely be seeing a paediatric surgeon for 14mo DD later in the year, but was keen for other stories that may be out there in meantime.
Meanwhile will try and get informed as possible to help successful BF with encore :)

Happy feeding :)
DD DOB May 12
EDD March '14

Rachwa

Post by Rachwa » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:02 am

One of our lovely forum members had this surgery performed on her DD2 by a paediatric dentist here in Perth. The same paed dentist wrote an article for Essence magazine about it.

I will send a message to the member and ask if she can give you some more information. :)

And congratulations on your pregnancy!
DS1 (T) Dec 2010, weaned Dec 2012
DS2 (H) July 2013, milk is in!

Loli&Lulu

Post by Loli&Lulu » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 am

Hi,

I'm the person RachWA mentioned. I had my 10 month old DDs (aka Lulu) upper lip tie released about 3 weeks ago.

I had issues from the very beginning with lots of pain, lots of chocking and worries about weight gain. As she is my second breastfed baby (I fed my first DD to 19 months) I knew things were not right. I saw GPs, lactation consultants and pediatricians - nobody was able to find a solution to the problem (though they kept checking for tongue tie, no one checked for upper lip tie). After about 3 months she obviously developed a technique that worked for her and feeding became more comfortable for both of us. However, after her teeth started coming in things got more difficult again and she started puncturing holes into me (not biting but puncture marks) when she was feeding which then became infected and led to mastitis.

It was only through a bit of recent web searching that I came across a blog about upper lip tie and checked my daughters mouth.

I saw the pediatric dentist who wrote about upper lip tie in the March edition of the ABA Essence magazine. He confirmed my daughter had an upper lip tie and a slight tongue tie.

He used a laser to release them, it was done in his surgery with a local anesthetic. She was wrapped tightly to stop her moving (though she did chew his fingers considerably). It was not pleasant and there was lots of screaming but it was all over in about 20 minutes and she was smiling again before we had even left the room. There was no bleeding or any other issues, having it done with a laser rather than surgically was really good I felt.

It has not been a total magic bullet in fixing all of our feeding problems because she is older and is having to re-learn her attachment with her new mouth, she is no longer puncturing holes into me though so it is definitely a big improvement. However I believe if it had been done when she was younger it would likely have made a bigger difference. The dentist mentioned he had done the procedure on a 12 day old and the mum felt the difference from the first feed.

If I had another baby who had the same problem I would definitely have it done much earlier.

Wishing you luck with your new baby :D
DD#1 May 2010 - BF to 19 months
DD#2 August 2012 - super cute cheeky booby toddler - storked by AndyPandy. :-)
Proudly co-storked AndyPandy's DS#2.

Chel070

Post by Chel070 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:44 pm

I thought I would share my lip tie experience for another scenario. I noticed early on that my DS's attachment was not right- his upper lip didnt flange out as its supposed to but after the initial week of nipple sensitivity there was no pain and he gained lots of weight so I didn't think about it anymore. Fast forward to top teeth coming through and he had quite a large gap between his teeth and that's when I noticed the lip tie as it was attached at to the roof of his mouth through his teeth, if that makes sense. I then linked it to probably an inherited thing as I had a gap in my teeth, and lip tie, when I was younger. Didn't do anything about mine and it must have sorted itself out when my adult teeth came through. DS ended up falling over and cutting his lip tie, and the gap between his teeth was gone within a couple of days- I couldn't believe it went so quickly, but there must have been quite a bit of pressure on his teeth as they are a little crowded.
Hope that helps! Good luck with your new bub!
DD1 Nov 2009
DS Jan 2012
DD2 Dec 2014

Loli&Lulu

Post by Loli&Lulu » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:43 pm

The dentist did tell me that most of the time they are resolved when the child is a toddler and falls over and tears it themselves, exactly as you said Chel070.

ezzajb

Post by ezzajb » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks heaps guys :) loli&lulu could I please get the name of the paediatric dentist you saw? I m in country WA. I did see a paediatric orthodontist in Perth who just said 'bring her back before adult teeth come through, I don't know anything about breastfeeding' :(
DD DOB May 12
EDD March '14

Loli&Lulu

Post by Loli&Lulu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I've sent you a personal message. :D

Rachwa

Post by Rachwa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Ah the irony. My ds2 was diagnosed with both ULT and TT and had them lasered by the same paed dentist.

The procedure was done last week when he was 8 weeks old. He had a local anaesthetic and was not sedated. They swaddled him in his blanket. He cried but he was more upset about being held and the local. Mostly they like the babies to feed immediately after but he just fell asleep :shock:

Later on when the anaesthetic wore off he was cranky and did not want to feed but he was fine pretty quickly and a week on he is feeding better. Not perfect but he is still learning how to use his mouth.
DS1 (T) Dec 2010, weaned Dec 2012
DS2 (H) July 2013, milk is in!

Crazymama

Post by Crazymama » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:00 pm

I am no help but just wanted to share if it's ok. DD1 had TT so I was really hyperalert and on the look out when DS2 came along.

No signs at all of TT but I had nipples that looked like they were whistling lips for over three months because the damage was so bad. Yet everything looked fine as far as attachment, weight gain, supply etc I saw different LC's etc but anyway they eventually healed all by themselves.

I couldn't believe the Essence article this year as DS was 3.5 and BF till he was 3 and it was only after this article did I look under his top lip and discover a ULT! :oops:

Hopefully everything will be fine for you though but so good you are preparing. :D

kaybee

Post by kaybee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi L&L. I also suspect my son may have an upper lip tie. Would you be able to PM me the name of the dentist? Thanks

Kmas

Post by Kmas » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My bubs is 14 weeks & just diagnosed with ULT & posterior TT. We have EBF though it had been a challenge. We have an appointment with a surgeon for the TT next week as out lc suggested getting that fixed then see if the ULT is causing feeding issues. I've just dug out the march essence so will read that article too.

Does anyone know a paed dentist in melbourne?

Kmas

Post by Kmas » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My bubs is 14 weeks & just diagnosed with ULT & posterior TT. We have EBF though it had been a challenge. We have an appointment with a surgeon for the TT next week as out lc suggested getting that fixed then see if the ULT is causing feeding issues. I've just dug out the march essence so will read that article too.

Does anyone know a paed dentist in melbourne?

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Sounds like you have a great LC.

I'll pm you with some information and contacts for the other stuff.
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

kaybee

Re: "Lip Tie" experience?

Post by kaybee » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Has anyone had a lip tie corrected on a toddler? Most of the information I've found seems to be about small babies so I'd be interested about any experiences of this for an older baby.

Thanks

Yankee

Re: "Lip Tie" experience?

Post by Yankee » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:41 pm

I have a friend who is getting her toddler's lip tie cut when he gets grommets put in this month. He's not breastfeeding but the tie has caused a gap between his front teeth. Not sure if that helps!
DD born September 2013