Cold sores on the breast

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
BNM

Cold sores on the breast

Post by BNM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 am

Just wondering if anyone has experienced/is willing to share knowledge of cold sores/herpes virus on the breast? What were your symptoms? Did the lesion appear as a normal oral cold sore? How did it impact feeding?

It's possible that DD has a cold sore, and she's still feeding (I get cold sores - despite being vigilant with hygiene, I'm guessing my kids will end up getting them sooner or later, if not from me then someone from school). Going to the Dr this afternoon to get it swabbed. It's a concern for me because baby #3 is due in February. While DD only feeds from one side (so would contain the virus to the one side should it be cold sores), I'm wondering how it would impact feeding a newborn, considering the risk the virus poses to infants.

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:41 am

I'd suggest checking with your doctor, but my understanding is that most people carry the herpes simplex virus (the one that causes coldsores) - so it's considered to be just a matter of time until a small child catches it, the first infection might be quite 'acute' (rash, fever), but not something easily avoided when everyone around them is a carrier...

My understanding is that coldsores can be dangerous if the mother (and therefore baby) have no immunity - if you get coldsores occasionally, then you will have an immune response 'programmed' into your body systems, and that will be passed via the placenta to your unborn baby, and in your breastmilk.
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

mamatom

Post by mamatom » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Doctor doctor doctor. A newborn baby I believe can get very ill from cold sores...I'm no expert but I'd definately go check.

dellywatts
Counsellor

Post by dellywatts » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm

mamatom wrote:Doctor doctor doctor. A newborn baby I believe can get very ill from cold sores...I'm no expert but I'd definately go check.
Yes it can be quite dangerous for a newborn so I'd definitely head to a dr.
DD1 ~ 9/2007
DS ~ 2/2009 bf for just over 4 yrs
DD2 ~ 3/2011 bf for nearly 2 yrs
DD3 ~ 12/2013 bfing