Pain feeding toddler in pregnancy

Breastfeeding multiples, twins, tandem feeding. Or when mum or baby has special circumstances due to illness etc. Share it all here.
Leonie Byard

Pain feeding toddler in pregnancy

Post by Leonie Byard » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi :) my main concern is that my 2 yr old toddler has never had a great latch (revision of severe ties at 4 weeks old, muscular and structural difficulties, work with osteo helped and so we are still feeding 2 to 3 times a day), and I am experiencing very painful feeding, with small cracks and now vasospasm. I'm 20 weeks pregnant. Toddler latch is not great (she and I are working together on tongue down and mouth wide as her latch seems to have gotten worse of late). I don't want to wean my toddler if I can help it, and I really want to let her have the comfort of bf when little sister arrives. If there is nothing I can do to help the pain now, then I think I can manage it for a few more months. BUT big concern is how to establish good bf with new baby if I still have cracked or painful nipples by then from toddler, especially if bubby has ties (toddler's were severe, bleeding crying etc through feeds till improvement at 10 weeks, but still took a few months with osteo, so it is possible that new baby will also require a long time to establish comfortable feeding and I'm not sure how to get through that if I also have a toddler causing me pain). I dont want to wean toddler when new baby comes as that may be too big a change for her to cope with as well as new baby. Any experiences on whether toddler latch and newborn will affect each other, or ideas on coping (ties or not) or on how I will actually be able to tell whether newborn is feeding well if my nipples are already this sore would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

AussieBritLu
Community Educator

Re: Pain feeding toddler in pregnancy

Post by AussieBritLu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi and welcome

Could it possibly be her 2 yr molars are coming through?
DD1/2011 - FF
DS/2013 - BF 2yr4m. Weaned :-)
DD2/2016 - BF 21mths. Weaned :-/
Storked pseudo, lilypad & Vahvempi. Co-storked with Pelly for Jenbt85!
Storked by Giff for DS & Jenbt85 for DD2.

Leonie Byard

Re: Pain feeding toddler in pregnancy

Post by Leonie Byard » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:00 am

Oh, yes! Forgot to mention she is teething, and so saliva may also be contributing to cracks. Her latch has never been optimal but also hasn't regressed this much in the past with teeth. I'm also getting a copy of Adventures in Tandem Breastfeeding on wednesday.
Even without teeth, her latch is always uncomfortable though due to her mouth structure, and I am worried about bf newborn