POSSIBLE FUNDRAISING SCAM
We have been told of an instance of someone being called at home, and being asked to donate $100 to the Australian Breastfeeding Association.
The Australian Breastfeeding Association does not fundraise in this way - we do not do telemarketing, and we are not aware of any official fundraising of this type being done on our behalf.
Please exercise extreme caution if you receive a phone call from anyone asking for a donation on our behalf. SCAMwatch suggests the following:
- If you receive a phone call out of the blue, always ask for the name of the person you are speaking to and who they represent
- Do not give your personal, credit card or online account details over the phone unless you made the call and the phone number came from a trusted source
- It is best not to respond to text messages or missed calls that come from numbers you don't recognise
- Be careful of phone numbers beginning with 190. These are charged at a premium rate and can be very expensive
- Look out for SMS and MMS numbers that start with 19. These are charged at a premium rate (sometimes even for receiving a message) and can be very expensive.
SCAMwatch provides further information about scams and how to protect yourself at http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/ind ... arityScams
Australian Breastfeeding Association
This is where any special announcements concerning this Forum or ABA in general will be placed.
1 post • Page 1 of 1